A forum for fans of the Wexford band Cry Before Dawn to discuss everything and anything!

Get to know your Admin!

Admin
    Admin

Get to know your Admin!

Post  Admin on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:59 am

Guess I'll go first! Very Happy

Many of you will have already spoken to me via email and some of you in person in my capacity as webmaster over at the Cry Before Dawn fansite. I thought it was about time we had a forum to discuss the band and create a little community, so here we are!

I'm a thirty-something (just) and first heard Cry Before Dawn back in 1989 supporting Big Country on the "Peace In Our Time" tour and thought they were really something special. I saw them a further two times on that tour and then a further four times before they split. Every gig made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up - the combination of guitars and Brendan's voice were just amazing. Sadly we can now only get our CBD fix from the two studio albums, b-sides and live sessions.

Apart from music I run a few websites, am a keen caver, hill-walker and a bit of a DIY enthusiast. I have a young son (14 months at time of writing), who takes up most of my spare time when he's awake. Smile

Rich

Hello!

Post  Rich on Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:35 am

Oliver hi,

Loved your CBD site, so great to see a forum up too. Pleasure being the first fan to drop by.

Like all, surprised that the band wasn't more commercially successful, given the comparative dross that filled the charts at their peak. The Swans album Photographs and Letters is also superb and Brendan's voice is as powerful as it was in CBD. I see he lives in Switzerland now and performs with the Bow Triplets - You Tube and Google is a wonderful thing...

About Me: Married 3 children, 43 and an author. If you fancy a fun holiday read this year, my new book is just out through Faber & Faber entitled My Gonads Roar - The Twisted World of Anagrams. Reviews and info here:
    http://www.fgsmedia.co.uk/Pages/FGS%20Media/Page%20MGR.htm

Oliver, hope loads of people sign up and thanks for keeping the CBD dream alive for all these years. All the Best, Rich.

koala_sprint

Re: Get to know your Admin!

Post  koala_sprint on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:40 am

Hello again.
    Glad to see that we all haven't forgotten about Cry Before Dawn.
    Strangely enough I sent Brendan an email pleading with him about leaking/releasing/donating the demos from the 3rd album. Now we've seen 2 or 3 songs on youtube that were done with the new guitartist ('You say High' was one).
    No answer unfortunately, but I live in hope.
    I got a copy of their first single recently. Great to hear it.

They were my first ever gig, way back in 1990 and I found the button pin from the gig recently, which prompted my renewed interest. They played a song that night 'from our new album.' Wish I could remember what it was, but it was probably Precious Land.

Well done for setting this site up Oliver.

KlausFly

Post  KlausFly on Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:50 am

Hello,

Klaus here from Germany.
    I have been a huge Big Country fan since 1983 and somehow in the late 80s my attention got drawn to CBD.
    Been a fan since then.

Cheers
    Klaus
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi guys, welcome along! Really pleased that you've found your way here and hope many more people turn up to chat about the band. Don't know why I didn't think of this ages ago! Very Happy

Thanks for the tip about You Tube, I hadn't though of that either - doh! Rolling Eyes I've just spent a happy half-hour watching some of the clips on there. Happy memories... And great to hear "You Say High" for the first time!

koala_sprint

Post  koala_sprint on Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:42 am

Does anyone have any idea how to record the audio from youtube? I was told audacity worked but I can't seem to get it working.
    There's about 3 or 4 CBD songs on there i'd love to get onto my b-side and rarites collection (Black is the colour, you say high & Together live and die).

Cheers

undiscovered_soul

youtube

Post  undiscovered_soul on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:18 am

Hey, just came across the site. great work by the way!! just letting you know that i put up some c.b.d videos on youtube nearly a year ago now!! most of tthem are from a concert the did at the town and country club back in 1989. but there is a few others from irish tv appearances, such as "kenny live" and "the late late show". anyhow i just thought id let ya know for those of ye who havent seen them on it!!
    all the best,
    ollie

tirconnell

back on the road again

Post  tirconnell on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:26 pm

HI OLIVER ,AGAIN GREAT WORK TO HIGHLIGHT THESE GUYS AGAIN.WITH SO MANY BANDS GETTING BACK TOGEATHER ,YOU WONDER IF THERE ARE ANY HOPE FOR CBD.I THINK THEY DEFO PACK THE NEW POINT THEATRE.(O2 ARENA I THINK IT CALLED NOW),EVEN FOR A ONE OFF.I HEARD THEY FELL OUT TOWARDS THE END,BUT HEY IT COULDNT BE WORSE THAN SPANDOU BALLET,THE KEMPS AND TONY HADLEY,DIDNT THEY DRAG ONE ANOTHER THROUGH THE COURTS,AND INDEED THEY ARE NOW REFORMING ,SO HOW BOUT PETITIONING FOR A CBD REUNION AND SENDING IT TO VINNIE DOYLE IN WEXFORD.

Julie McCracken

Cry before Dawn

Post  Julie McCracken on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:01 am

Hello to everyone here.Wow, my God, I can't believe there is a forum for the band.
    I heard "Gone forever" on the radio the other day & I knew the song so well, it was like a blast from the past & so I asked the d.j & he reminded me it was Cry before Dawn. This is in Spain aswell Very Happy
    Ever since then I have been youtubing & I cannot believe the amount of memories that have come flooding back. Songs I forgot even existed. The songs are amazing!. I'm from the Wexford, the same place as the band & I was born in 1982 so I was only young in the late 80's but I grew up with the songs. My family are also a musical family from Wexford.
    I can't wait to go back there next month as I'm gonna buy the albums.
    Unbelieveable music, unbelievable voices
    Can we get maybe a facebook group together to try and get Cry before Dawn to make a come back?¿ If Spandau Ballet can do it, surely they can (oh i hope so)

sunny

Scallywagjazz

Recording From YouTube

Post  Scallywagjazz on Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi Koala Sprint,

I record from youtube by using RealPlayer. I set everything up to record through 'line in' on RealPlayer, then it's simply a case of running a connection straight from your pc 'line out' socket back into your pc 'line in' socket. You can't hear it as you record, but when you replay in RealPlayer (having unplugged from your jack from 'line in' and putting it back in to your speakers) you get a perfect recording to burn on to cd.

Takes a bit of getting used to with timings but you can always use something like soundforge to tidy things up.

Ian

koala_sprint

Post  koala_sprint on Sun May 17, 2009 2:25 pm

Cheers for that Ian.
    I'll give it a whirl

OG

Post  OG on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Hello everyone... I was a fan of Big country back in the '80's and discovered cry before dawn when they were support in 1989. I guess we are all guys & gals of "a certain age" by now. was delighted to hear of the reunion and tour. I have been living in Ireland for the last 13 years so Vicar St. is very accesible to me. Maybe see some of you there.
    regards OG

OG

Post  OG on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:28 pm

^^^^^ sorry, meant to add fair play and well done to Oliver. I was amazed to find a CBD forum.

Gavin Boyle

Post  Gavin Boyle on Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Oliver and everyone. As a lifelong Skids and Big Country fan, I first saw Cry Before Dawn when they supported Big Country. I was so impressed with their performance and their first album, that my Wife and I saw them several times in their own right at the Town and Country Club. What a fantastic live band. I have never understood, how a band as talented as this didn't make it big in the UK. I hope the reunion works and produces further releases and hopefully some UK dates, as we'd love to see them live again. Oliver, a great CBD website and now forum! Things are definitely looking up. Thank you! Very Happy
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:13 pm

Hi Gavin, OG, everyone, welcome along!

Hopefully the reunion will bring a few more people out of the woodwork and we'll see a bit more activity on here. Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:40 pm